Things are looking up for the economy. Now might be a good time to look up at home too! That’s right – take a close look at the ceilings of your Vancouver area home. What do you see? If you notice discolored spots in a circular or lengthwise stain pattern, they’re a sure sign of a water leak from somewhere above. Don’t get upset … a ceiling stain is actually a helpful warning sign that could save you thousands of dollars in the long run.
The water stains on your ceiling are most likely caused by leaks in your BC roof system. A leak might be due to any number of problems, including loose or missing shingles, loose flashing, ice dams or clogged gutters. What makes finding a leak tricky is that water often “travels” away from the origin, instead showing up many feet away.
Once you notice ceiling spots or stains, it’s important to have your roofing system promptly inspected by a qualified Richmond roofing contractor to identify and repair the original source of the leak. Ignoring the problem or delaying action may result in a widening of the leak and additional, more expensive damage. Remember: leaks never get smaller!
A roofing contractor who inspects your BC roof should examine several critical areas:
• Attic and crawl space, to trace back to the source of the leak
• Rafters and roof deck, to identify the route water may have traveled
• Chimney and roof vents, to make sure flashing is properly seated and sealed
• Eaves and soffits, to see if water is backing up from gutters into the attic area
• Gutters, to make sure rainwater can flow easily; or, in cold weather, to determine if ice dams are forming
• Shingles, to locate cracked, curling or missing shingles
If you discover a leak in your roof, or if your roof should suffer storm damage, make Crown Residential Roofing your first call for expert BC roof repairs. After a careful inspection, we’ll provide you with specific details about the leak, along with a plan for repairing it. Call us today at (877) 907-3066!