One of the most important parts of roofing in Vancouver is often overlooked by customers: guttering. Here in the Lower Mainland, where precipitation averages nearly 50 inches annually, a properly designed and professionally installed gutter system is a critical component of the overall BC roofing system. Gutters perform the task of redirecting collected rainwater and snowmelt that flows off a roof. Without a gutter to collect the runoff, water would travel to places where you simply do not want it to go, such as into your attic, down the walls of your home, and through the foundation into your basement.
Not all gutters are the same. Often homeowners make the mistake of skimping on their gutters in an attempt to save a few dollars. Unfortunately, any money saved will have to be paid out many times over when “bargain” gutters fail to do their job. Here are some key characteristics of a well-constructed gutter system:
• Seamless gutter troughs that won’t allow water to seep through.
• Troughs that are wide and deep enough to accommodate the expected runoff volume.
• Sturdy hangers that prevent loaded gutters from separating from a home, leaving gaps.
• One-piece end caps to prevent water from escaping.
• Downpipes that are wide enough to handle a heavy flow of water, and that are long enough direct the water a safe distance from the side of a home.
While these attributes seem to be common sense, too many gutter installers fail to implement them. The result is a gutter system that works perfectly in dry weather, but fails when you need it most. So when a roofing contractor in Vancouver mentions gutters when discussing your new roof, don’t think he is just trying to generate additional work. Instead, understand how important the gutter system is to the proper functioning of your BC roofing system.
Crown Residential Roofing provides experienced BC roofing and guttering services for homeowners in Vancouver, Richmond, Burnaby and throughout southern British Columbia. Contact us at (877) 907-3066 for a free inspection and estimate. Order new gutters when you replace your roof and we’ll give you $100 off the total project price!