Asphalt roof shingles are the most popular roofing choice in America. They are designed to be durable and affordable, and they are available in hundreds of colors and styles to match almost any exterior. There are three major categories of asphalt roofing shingle products available today – strip shingles, dimensional shingles and luxury shingles. It is important to understand the differences between each type of roofing shingle to pick the right product for your home.
3-Tab or STRIP SHINGLES
This type of asphalt shingle is the original and most basic asphalt. 3-tab shingles are made from a single layer of asphalt and have a very flat appearance.
- Generally lightweight
- Economical and inexpensive
- Average size is 12 inches wide by 36 inches long
- Made from durable fiberglass basemat coated with mineral granules
- Lack of aesthetic qualities
- Last for less than 20 years
- Lowest type of roofing protection
Architectural or DIMENSIONAL SHINGLES
Dimensional shingles are the most prevalent type of asphalt shingle for residential roofing. These are manufactured with two or more layers of asphalt that are bonded together while the bottom layer is exposed that results in a three-dimensional look.
- Extremely durable
- Multi-dimensional texture and appearance
- Highest levels of ratings for wind, fire and impact
- Can last 30 years and longer
- 20% more expensive than strip shingles (3-tab)
- Heavier than 3-tab
Designer or LUXURY SHINGLES
Luxury shingles are the highest quality laminated shingles available. They are a great roofing alternative for period-style homes as they create shadows and depth that look just like real slate or shakes.
- Widest selection of styles and colors
- Maximum durability
- Lighter than stone or tile
- More affordable than cedar or slate
- Heavier than 3-tab or Dimensional
- Take longer to install
Need a new roof? Call the professionals at Crown Roofing Ltd. for unparalleled roof maintenance and replacement services. Give us a call at (604) 210-6655, or fill out our contact form to schedule a free roof evaluation and estimate. We serve clients in Vancouver and Surrey.